How To Save A Life

Hello everybody, it has been a pretty good week here in Alicante. It was even a little chilly somedays and rainy others. 

It also started super slow, with finding efforts not being fruitful and the trajectory of our goals and numbers not looking great. We also had a few meals with members, even though 2 were with someone of the other ward and consisted of cow stomach and liver soup, honestly pretty tasty. Plenty of Coca-Cola, too, since that's what you get at Roger's.

We also had exchanges on Saturday and Guatemala's Elder Oxom came to our area with me. We found a lot of people, some of which are still interested. It was super fun and kind of saved the week, since we get along super well and I still surprise myself that we can have full conversations in Spanish. 

Not much else happened this week (besides teaching English class) and I don't have much time, sooo

For a spiritual thought:

A little different, yet the topic stays the same. What a good friend has labeled "Spiritual perfectionism" has been a running theme in these, and while I'm not sure why, I'm glad they have helped at least a few people, including myself. 

As I have said, missions make one a lot more aware of mistakes, shortcomings, and smallness before God than they otherwise may have. I have thought about this a lot this week, and have decided that is not a bad thing. Not a curse nor condemnation, rather a special experience that comes to everyone one way or another. 

In thinking about my standing as a missionary and before God, having this responsibility to preach repentance and starting a long process of perfection for others, I've had a few ideas.

One came with a call Saturday morning with the 2 eastern zones with President. To make it short, he wasn't very happy and made it clear that he didn't want to hear more complaints from our emails. At least that's what I first thought. As I listened and thought more, I realized it has good reason. We always say happiness has to do with our attitudes, and it does, but what does that mean if we still find time, even if just once a week, to complain? 

Another came after a now 9-month period and before 18-year period of making mistakes. Of course I am human and have made mistakes on the mission, plenty of them. Things that I shouldn't have done were done, and things I should have, weren't. Some have been tiny and repetitive, others large and thankfully single occasions. Really this is all just to say that mistakes are here to help us grow.

Now that's obvious. We've all been taught that since we first wrote a word wrong, or solved an equation incorrectly. This applies to more than writing, or math, or science. It applies to our spiritual, eternal growth. 

We often have to clarify the Fall of Adam here, sometimes known as the "Original Sin." That's because we not it was not a sin, or an eternal guilt that we all must bear. It was a transgression, an important difference and can be described as a mistake. A lack of knowledge and understanding that lead to an undesired outcome and consequence. 

I have come to believe that mistakes are not what separate us from God. They are what we need to come closer to Him. That sin can never be an answer to a prayer, but a simple, human mistake can be. It can be what we need to realize something that we can change, make better, learn from. 

I think I have talked about the experience of Peter, denying the Christ and that event being the start of his true conversion and discipleship. There are others that have done the same. Adam, as in the previous example of his transgression, fell, but fell into a world where he could have a family, experience joy, and find strength through real faith. Paul, Moses, Abraham, David, all the apostles experienced it. They experienced a broken heart and a contrite spirit, the two most important and necessary tools in the Redeemer's hands. 

It is super late now, so all I have to say is I love you all and love receiving your emails, keep sending them!

Id con Dios,

- Elder Puzey

For pictures: 
Trip to the castle and other pday and other activities this week (NEED NAMES OF ALL THE PEEPS) 


















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The A Team

Auld Lang Syne

In the Bleak Midwinter