Right Back Where We Started

Hello everyone, this has been a pretty good, final week here in Madrid. My hopes for office elder were shattered, but that wasn't the craziest thing that happened on the transfer call. When the start APs start by saying "you're not going to believe this," its usually pretty true, just like it was this time. They told me I'm going back to Alicante! Same ward, almost same area. I still can't believe it and I've realized it means a lot of things, including the almost certain chance that I move to my third mission, Spain Madrid East, opening up in July. 

I have learnt so much these last 3 transfers and have really enjoyed my time here, the good and bad. I'm excited to have a "fresh start" to practice all the things I've learned with my "new" comp Elder Budd. I say "new" because that's Elder Jacob Budd, who was in my ward in BYU. I never really got to know him too much, but now I definitely will have! 

Although this super rare transfer is exciting, it also brings a lot of other mixed feelings. For one, if I really do end up in the east mission I won't see basically any city in Southern Spain that I was looking foward to, although Valencia, Murcia, and Cartagena will still be nice. I've also made a lot of friends here and will miss having the temple and central madrid so close. Nevertheless, if there's one thing I've learned so far it is that God's plan is always the best, even if it's not what we expected. 

Other than all of that, the week has been pretty usual. One highlight, though, is that right after giving my farewell testimony during fast and testimony meeting, Diego decided to bear his as well! I was glad to hear it, he has an incredibly strong testimony of the gospel and the peace it brings to him. We also started meeting with Bisente again, and he's basically ready for his baptism next Saturday. 

Also, Jose Antonio the Spaniard met with us this week and right after I found a scripture that fits perfectly with his situation and needs. He wants to have a testimony and to have faith, but its hard for him to put in the effort with a sincere heart sometimes. I feel like he's a lot closer after this week, though.

For a spiritual thought:

Someone tell me if these are getting too long or not!

This week's personal studies have been full if the theme of repentance, forgiveness, and our way back home. It starts with a few of President Monson's first talks, as I've started listening to all of them. "The Way Home" and "The Paths Jesus Walked" are both really good. In the first, he tells a parable of a boy trying to find his hometown by the ring of a bell. Once he heard the right one, he "dropped to his knees, looked upward beyond the bell tower—even toward heaven—and in a prayer of gratitude whispered, 'Thanks be to God. I’m home.'"

In the second, President Monson spoke about how Jesus Christ has the power to change the hearts of men. That even in chastisement, guilt, or sorrow we are still growing closer to Christ. In fact, those are some of the most crucial and necessary times to do so. 

In another talk, "Latter-Day Saints Keep on Trying," Elder Renlund actually quotes a later President Monson talk, saying: "One of God’s greatest gifts to us is the joy of trying again, for no failure ever need be final." It is just so important to remember that Jesus Christ's Atonement really is infinite. That even if "we’ve been a conscious, deliberate sinner or have repeatedly faced failure and disappointment, the moment we decide to try again, the Atonement of Christ can help us." That, as Elder Gilbert quoting President Nelson said, "Because of our covenant with God, He will never tire in His efforts to help us, and we will never exhaust His merciful patience with us.”

And 'should [we] stray, He will help [us] find [our] way back.'”

I am so grateful for the Atonement of Jesus Christ and what it really means. That even though I'm not perfect I can always try to be. That He always makes up the difference of what we lack. That we can live forever with Him and our families only because of His merits and sacrifice for every one of us, as a whole and individually. 

So, the next one of these will be sent from Alicante, just like old times. My perspective of the rest of my mission has changed drastically in the last 3 days, but I am excited to see what it brings. As always, I'll keep you all updated, please keep me updated too!! Os quiero muchísimo, cuidaos.

Id con Dios,

- Elder Puzey

For pictures:

Really good dessert made by a member. We never decided if we should call it strawberry dream or strawberry rose.
Fitting sunset for my last Sunday here (it was also raining somehow)
My study set up at my apartment here in Madrid










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The A Team

Auld Lang Syne

In the Bleak Midwinter