Lord, I Would Follow Thee

 Hello everyone, this may have to be short. So some highlights:

- Diego got baptized after all almost 5 months of me being here! It was a super special experience and worth the wait, even the whole transfer he was in Colombia
- Conference was awesome, even though i had to watch half of it in the church, in spanish. The historic solemn assembly was cool, too, even if it wierded out a few of our friends. The baptismal font setting off the fire alarm halfway through the first session didn't help either. All of them said they liked it, though. 
- My companion answered a "doctrinal question" about "same-sex attraction" asked by another Elder in the piso, with his mic unmuted in a call. 
- Almost ate a pole in a street contact
- We found 33 people this week! Super good but honestly a lot are already not progressing
- Golfing at the range in a super nice course
- Really good exchanges with the Zl's, we made really good goals and may have changed the way I think about the mission and how i wanted to see myself changed
- Made half-decent brownies 

For a spiritual thought:

The title of this email is, of course, Lord, I Would Follow Thee. In case no one realized, the theme of these titles has always been a song title, that usually connects to the email in ways that only make sense to me. This time, however, the connection should be clear. This hymn is one of my favorites, and just recently I have discovered why. Let's start with the lyrics, especially in the first verse. 

"Savior, may I learn to love thee,
Walk the path that thou hast shown,
Pause to help and lift another,
Finding strength beyond my own."

This one is pretty simple, but I love how it says "may I learn to love thee." It's something that I am definitely learning to do here, and helping others to "walk the path" He has shown all of us. In doing so, I will find strength "beyond my own," a uplifting promise. For verse 2:

"Who am I to judge another
When I walk imperfectly?
In the quiet heart is hidden
Sorrow that the eye can’t see."

This one always stands out in the last 2 lines, as we all struggle in trials only known by the Lord and by us. How lucky and blessed we are that He understands us perfectly. That He "has borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows; yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed."

And in return He asks us to "learn the healer’s art.
To the wounded and the weary
I would show a gentle heart.
I would be my brother’s keeper"

This is part of the covenant we make at baptism, the one I am teaching all i can here to make. Of course its difficult to be our brother's keeper, especially to all our brothers and sisters. I think I've written enough about how difficult following Christ can be. This is where i find the most comfort, finally, in verse 4:

"Savior, may I love my brother
As I know thou lovest me,
Find in thee my strength, my beacon,
For thy servant I would be.
Savior, may I love my brother—
Lord, I would follow thee."

Christ has always loved us and always will. It is His love that is our strength and beacon, the strength beyond our own. He is the perfect example of perfect love, and will always help us find that love for others. 

That's why I love this hymn so much, and glad it was featured in a session of this conference. It is all about love, about the service I try to do every day. About the greatest love there ever was. I really enjoyed the theme of greater love this conference, based off of that great new video about Easter. It's hard, but necessary to follow thw Lord. 

Also, "Yes Lord, I Would Follow Thee"  or "Sí Señor, Yo Te Seguiré" is the only native spanish talk i have found in any conference. Good for study and if anyone had any more let me know! 

Anyways, thats all for now, love you all and know thw Lord loves you too! Reach out

Id con Dios,

- Elder Puzey

Pictures:
Diego's Baptism
Maybe we can star next time!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The A Team

Auld Lang Syne

In the Bleak Midwinter